Monday, January 5, 2009

Surgery Day

So, I was reminded that things you dread come much quicker than things you just can't wait for. Christmas never comes fast enough for little ones and this surgery is banging my door down, so to speak. All in all, I am ready to just be done and move on for Deegan's sake.

Today's surgery will be at 2pm, so if you remember, say a prayer for us. Mostly, I am only anxious for myself because of nerves. Deegan will have no clue until they will come at him with a little needle and he doesn't have any idea what will happen after that.

The hardest part today probably will be that he can't eat past 6am. He came to our room at 4am and we (Deegan and I) jumped out of bed and headed to the kitchen. He had a bowl of oatmeal and then we watched Little Einsteins for a bit. Then at 5, Ashlyn decided to join us...who knew we were having a party this morning. So, I pulled out the griddle and we made some pancakes. I will be feeding him right up until the last minute as I can't bear the fight I can imagine my later morning turning into. I prayed fervently last night that this fasting thing for Deegan would go smoothly and I am so thankful that Deegan woke up at 4 instead of my planned 5:30. This way, he ate more and he will take an early nap and sleep instead of starve. I know Heavenly Father is always aware of me and my family. I know he always knows better and that he helped me see a better way at 4am rather than me and my beloved heating blanket having to part bitter ways on a grumpier term. Who doesn't love waking up to happy kids anyway?

Deegan will be able to have clear liquids until 11am, so maybe if he wakes up starving we will take a field trip to the store and buy some Popsicles to fool him into thinking he is eating.

I'll update after his surgery. Thanks for all who have been so kind to offer help with the other kiddos, meals, prayers and blessings with this. We have the best family and friends!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I will definately be praying for the little guy today!! Call me and let me know how it went when you get home.

berjfaylor said...

You are a great mom... breathe, he will be great. And just think after all this is done, he will be healthy and happy. He is going to be fine. Prayers from this family for sure. Let me know how it goes. love you guys.

Cheree said...

Our pryaers are with you and Deegan. I hope all will go well and he will feel better and have a better life. Keep us updated on how things are going.

Heywood Clan said...

I have been praying for you guys!! I'm so sorry I missed you call. Please call me and let me know how YOU ALL are doing. We love you and our sweet little Deegan!

Sommer said...

Shannon, good luck! We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers! I love that the man upstairs was watching out for you by waking Deegan up at 4! I loved hearing your story! Keep us posted on how things are going!