Saturday, November 1, 2008

Figuring out the RIGHT traditions...

So my great friend, Sommer, posted a "fun" recipe on her blog about making Dinner in a pumpkin. It wasn't even photo-worthy by the time I got done with it. (That is if my pictures would magically show up here anyway!) It smelled and tasted good...the only problem was that even after 1 and a half hours, my rice never softened? Is this a normal problem, because I have another recipe using uncooked rice and it bakes in the oven...but my rice never softens. People, there is something really wrong with crunchy rice!!! By the time I gave up, my pumpkin was falling apart and half the original size and my house smelt like squash! So I have decided that this recipe will not be a Halloween tradition. I am liking an idea of Costco Pizza that my other good friend Trea told me about! Seriously, with all the "getting ready" to trick or treat...who has time to make, let alone EAT dinner anyway? (I would just like to say that I am looking forward to next Halloween being on a Saturday so that Ryan will have...I mean, GET to help me dress four fabulous "whatevers". I now know why my mom hated Halloween. It is a tough gig on us moms!)

What did we do that worked as a great tradition? We toasted our pumpkin seeds and had pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and made THE BEST CIDER IN THE WORLD! We got to stay up late and play ZARAHEMLA with our buddies the Hochhalters. If you're planning on eating, you better have help! Right? Thanks for the fun, "Hokey Pokies" ! (...as my kids like to call you!)

Try these cookies....easy, and mmm! Great especially for kiddos with egg allergies! Finally they can eat raw cookie dough!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies:
1 small can (soup can size) Libby's pumpkin
1 spice cake mix
milk chocolate chips (I use about 3/4 of the bag)

Bake @ 375 for 10 minutes.

Hot Cran-apple cider:
2 qt. apple cider
1 1/2 qt. cranberry juice
1/4 C. brown sugar
4 3 inch sticks cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. whole allspice
1 lemon, thinly sliced

Heat all ingredients together. Let simmer 15 minutes until flavors are blended. Remove spices and lemon slices. Serve. ***The newer crock pots have a "warm" on the settings. I set it in there on warm, and it is just the perfect temperature when you want to finally serve it.)

(***Play with this recipe!!!)
~I love to use an orange instead of a lemon.
~Apple juice works if you don't have cider.
~Last night, I didn't have Cranberry juice, so I opened the freezer and pulled out a frozen concentrate of Apple-Raspberry juice. I used half the can, (that's all that was in there left over from smoothies!) and filled it with water 1 1/2x and used a lemon.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I just got that pumpkin cookie recipe from Megan when she was here in July. So easy, I love it!! I made them this week too!

janae said...

Whoa, these look really yummy! Can't wait to try!

Vehar Family said...

It's a lot of pressure figuring out just the right traditions to start with your own little family! Sounds like you guys figured out some fun ones though! We are so excited to see you guys for Christmas! We need some pictures of your little Halloween kids though...

Treidi said...

I remember one halloween my Mom tried to improve tradition and made some kind of caserole thing out of a pumpkin.

It was gross.

She was cute for trying.

We stuck to the basics after that.

kate said...

I must have blocked that attempt from my memory...

And speaking of "basics," I think Alex would love if I started a tradition of actually making dinner most nights. We'll get to holiday meal planning later.