Friday, December 5, 2008

Deegan's big "HURT"

We discovered last night that our sweet boy has a hernia in his groin. Last night it made its first appearance that we ever noticed, about the size of a walnut, but smaller than a golf ball. My first thought was that it was a tumor or a HUGE cyst. I have never seen a hernia before and I don't ever want to again. Our pediatrics office had the "on-call nurse" party until midnight, so luckily, I got a phone call back directly from a Dr.

We got Deegan in today and his Dr. said most definitely it is a hernia and recommends surgery. So, being the queasy mom I am...just her describing how to "maneuver" it back in -if it were to show itself again- I was gasping and covering my mouth, totally shaking my head so I could block out what she was saying. I had to make her stop describing the maneuver and told her RYAN would figure it out! Luckily right then, Deegan told me he had to go potty, so thanks to him, we avoided the rest of that conversation!

I did decide that if Deegan is going to have surgery, then it is time we finally figure out if he does/doesn't have my blood disorder (VonWillabrand's). We drove straight to the lab from the Dr. office for his blood draw...I even watched this time, but it was more the "Mama protecting her cub" kind of thing. No one was going to hurt my baby! How I wished I could have just offered my arm, instead of having to do that to him-that's saying a lot, considering I hate needles. I felt like such a bad mom restraining and lying to him. Of course Mommy's have to tell them that things like that are OK...THEY SO AREN'T! I am just glad that we will get this excitement done and over. Thankfully, they have already talked about checking his other side while in there to avoid another episode.

6 comments:

Heywood Clan said...

I'm SO sorry! Poor little Deegan! When will they do the surgery?

Shannon said...

I am waiting to hear back from the pediatric surgeon. They will have to have a consultation first. I am hoping it will be sooner than later because I keep getting told that if he starts screaming in pain like last night then I have to rush him to the ER and he would likely have emergency surgery. Nothing including the word emergency ever sounds good!

Last night Ryan pulled Deegan off the coffee table and imediatley Deegan was in pain. Ryan thought he must have twisted his leg or something. After he "seemed" fine but was just irritable, Ryan decided to put him to bed to not have to listen to his "tantrums" anymore. When he went to put on a diaper for the night, that is when we found it. (You don't have to worry about those parts as much when you potty train, so who knows if he was having problems before that.)

Tiffany said...

Shannon that stinks! I am so sorry. When will you get the blood test results?

Shannon said...

I hope to get the blood results this coming week.

Tiff, are you going to the Las Vegas Bowl...I can get you tickets for $30! Let me know, Kaeleigh can get them at that price since she is in the half-time show.

Jenny said...

That stinks!! I thought Deegan was already tested for VonWillabrands? I've had to restrain both the boys for blood draws...no fun.

janae said...

I'm sorry too! Kids shouldn't be allowed to get sick with stuff like this, cause it's too hard on the parents! Keep us posted...