Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Addition to our family!!!

Last night, Ryan and I finally decided that our family wasn't complete. Yes, you read that right! Not so much in the way your face is showing the shock...or humor of reading that simple sentence though.

All you with picky little eaters will appreciate that our family has been lacking. Our children have been pulled to the dark side long enough, and we have finally won! We purchased our LONG WAITED for Vita-mix last night from our favorite Costco store.

We knew the road show was back and had already decided we wanted one, but truly we went with the intent to work on our food storage for FHE. Well, first stop just had to be the vita-mix man...after a wholesome pizza dinner at the food court, of course!

We sat through his demo which started with a smoothie (banana, pineapple, cantaloupe-with seeds(the seeds have the healthiest nutrients in them of all fruit), orange-including the white stuff, carrot, cabbage, strawberries-stems and leaves included, grapes, and who knows what else...) which was tasty. Next he made us celery cabbage sorbet (celery, cabbage, lemon, little bit of frozen juice concentrate, ice, honey and some protein powder). He took the lid off, turned it upside down and it didn't move a bit. All less than a minute-kid you not! It was also a hit with the kiddos. Then he proceeded to make us tortilla soup(the base had tomato, carrot, celery, red pepper w/ seeds, seasoning mix and cheese (for creaminess) and honestly, by now Deegan was being true to form, and I was distracted hoping that Ryan would just continue to enjoy his sales pitch enough to not change his mind! So, I don't know what else was in the base) including rice, black beans, corn and tortillas. The soup was so yummy...you should have seen the steam coming out of the blender when the lid came off! I was so full, but seriously, the soup was made in less than 4 minutes and to think how long we waited for our pizza and it wasn't even that good for our bodies-tasted great though. So not only were we sold before we even got there, but the demo man sold my hubby who only had lovingly agreed to it because he got sick of me begging for one for the last 8 years. A good friend of ours made him a smoothie a couple months back and she had him pretty baited for me, but the demo man closed the deal for me last night! Thanks demo-man, I owe you! And thanks Ryan for finally getting around to my b-day present (that's how you make your b-day last a little longer folks, we're still celebrating!)

So now, our family will enjoy our daily allowance of fruits and veggies, and we might even succeed at the 5-a-day challenge our know it all dietitians tell us about. Not only that, but this blender will also serve as my wheat grinder. It will make my bread dough from grinding whole wheat to kneading the dough. All I need do then is dump it in a pan and bake! Yeah for me and all that partake of our yumminess. We may need to start a BYOF&V policy (bring your own fruits and veggies...ha ha!)

If you are a nerd like me, you can watch the videos of them doing demos on vitamix.com...truly amazing!

7 comments:

Karin said...

I love my Vita-mix! I'll have to check out the website!

Heywood Clan said...

I have been wanting one of those forever too. Good job! I'm so happy for you!

Sommer said...

Shannon you crack me up! Hope you enjoy your new Vita mix! I'm impressed that your kids liked it too! Way to go!

Beckie said...

I could use a new addition too!!
They make being in the kitchen FUN!!

Jenny said...

Am I the only one on the planet that doesn't know what your talking about? Sounds like a better version of the magic bullet. I have one of those, but I've only used it once! I guess I'll have to check out the demo.

Tiffany said...

I am so glad you finally got your long awaited for vitamix. It has been how many years since we used to make smoothies in mine. I am so happy for you. If you make anything great you will have to pass it on.

KJenx said...

How amazing, we had a similar addition at our home! We are a little psychotic about the smoothies now and have at least 2 a day. I'm glad you got yours for your birthday, mine is an early Christmas gift! :>