Sunday, July 27, 2008

Baby steps...

So naturally, I bet by the title you all thought this would be something cute about my little Ashlyn. Sorry to disappoint! If you know much about me, I have a couple babies. I have projects, plants, children...whatever I can take care of. Right now, I am nurturing all of my newborn plants in hopes they won't fry a miserable death from this painful heat.

Ryan and I started our (near) dream yard about a year ago. I say near, but if we really do everything on the plan, I don't know what else would be left to do. Of course money doesn't grow on trees...at least not in Arizona-maybe we're the wrong zone? So we have chosen to "phase" our yard to make it more affordable and less painful on the budget. We bit off A LOT about this time last year. We are working our way, corner to corner, around the backyard. So we started with the corner closest to the house where the BBQ will be. (You have to be able to feed yourself when you work this hard...kidding!) Next we will finish up the kids' trampoline area...I am thinking that sounds "holly, jolly"...but that's just me. Ryan gives the green lights around here and I just wait for the signal! So, maybe we will have to wait a little longer than my ideal timing. A couple more summers then we will do the pool and then the last corner would be a nice fireplace/sitting area. It sounds like a lot, I know. Ryan is a big do-it-yourself-er, so this may not get done until Kaeleigh needs it done for her wedding reception!!! So for now, it has been the BBQ and the front yard. Only one side of the front yard can be done before "the pool" though, so just when we will think we are done...(that's how it always works!) we will finish up the other side of the front yard.

So, the wall on the East side of the yard got done first. Our wall got stoned yesterday. What a relief! We have been told that our wall looks like a prison wall and all it needs is barbed wire, and who knows what else has been said about it. I'm sure the neighbors thought it would never get done...BUT, (big but...) they are thrilled at what they get to look at now! We turned the front area by the entry into a nice water feature. The neighbors can hear it across the street and they have said that they actually feel cooler when it is on. We are more than grateful to have this beast of a project completed...ON TO THE NEXT ONE!!!

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the front yard. It's dark, so it can't happen today. Sorry...I bet most of you won't even get to this for a couple days anyway. That's OK. We have a similar wall in the back. It is much smaller. The idea is that we can sit on the walls when people are over for extra seating. Our street is a pretty happening place when the weather is cooler. All the neighbors come out and talk and the 20+ kids come out and play. It will be nice to have somewhere to sit instead of standing around in the street! Ryan is working like crazy trying to get the BBQ done in time for my birthday. We'll see. I will put up pictures as we go.

2 comments:

Vehars said...

You'll have to post some pictures, I want to see all the crazy progress! I like the new picture of the family!

Tiffany said...

I'm sure it will look great. Definitely post pics so that we can see.