Friday, August 15, 2008

Ashlyn's Life...UNSENCORED!/Mom is always right!

Okay...I couldn't decide on the right title for this post. The first title of this post is a warning label! As a mother, we see this kind of stuff on a daily basis, but I NEVER want to relive any of my children's scary moments...EVER, especially the ones where they feel any sort of pain.

So, may I start off by saying that all you who know my total disdain for balloons...yeah, it just got bigger. Maybe somewhere in my childhood I had a bad experience with them, but they cause me parenting nightmares, so maybe it wasn't a childhood thing, but I reserve the right to alter my opinions now that I am aware of the effects they have on children. They are hypnotic or something. I seriously beg that if you like me at all...I have absolutely banned any and all balloons from my home. I cannot fake accepting them any longer. (I knew it was bad when I took my kids to Enrichment last night and the kids brought a bunch home and at the church my stomach was already tying up in knots!)


Reasons why I hate them...just in case you think I am joking in the slightest:

  • The kids fight over them


  • They get caught in my ceiling fans


  • The kids let go of them and I repeatedly have to stop what I am doing to retrieve them from the ceiling


  • If I can't retrieve it they cry and then when it finally comes down on its own, they cry more because its now broken and won't float anymore!


  • The kids won't let me put it on their wrists (mostly when they are young...they learn finally) and they let go and lose them, completely ruining any fun we were having because of the crying and embarrassing attention their public melt down is drawing to us.


  • I can't see out my windows when I drive


  • Again, the kids fight over them...it's not fair that one has a balloon and not anyone else! (Forget that the kid just had a tooth or 2 pulled!)


  • The screechy noise they make when you stretch or rub them


  • Noise of the children increases x1000! (I don't mind laughter, but the ear piercing screams, the running around like wild animals...balloons bring out the beast in me.
So, have I made myself clear? I am sure given more time that I could come up with more reasons to not like them. Parties are so boring around here! Anyway, Grandma is allergic to them...thankfully for me, at least I have a valid excuse for not allowing them in my home. This has not worked consistently yet, but it will definitely start getting better used.

So the outcome of my allowing balloons in the home last night started innocently as everything always does. I ran and got my camera because my darling little Ashlyn was having her first experience with them. As she played longer, she started warming up vocally. Even my baby has the balloon behavior instinct. Dang it! She was pretty cute though.

So my disclaimer for this video is my mother's saying (which can't possibly be original at all...wonder who really said it first. They should have copyrighted it) "IT'S ALWAYS FUN UNTIL SOMEONE GETS HURT"...this is where the "mom's always right" part of the post title comes in:


I want you all to know that I thought about not putting this video on here. While I was taping the video, I was living in the moment...at least the first 8 seconds of it, thinking this would be cute to share since our family doesn't really get to see Ashlyn's love for life like we do...that was about how long it took until her crash with fate...we call him Deegan. May I add that Deegan got hurt too and that they are both ok. It didn't take long to calm her down because believe it or not, she still wanted to play with those stupid things. This was an accident, and they do happen. I wish I could erase the last couple seconds of the video off because she was so funny before the crash...does anyone know how to do that if you took the video on the digital camera? Let me know so that Ashlyn doesn't hate this video forever. It was Ryan's vote to share the daily truths of Ashlyn's life with you. He said you would all appreciate what she lives with on a daily basis. She is going to be one tough cookie...I am thinking Powder Puff already. She should be pretty good by then.





Ashlyn's 1st fat lip...doesn't she look lovely? No sign of anything this morning...a perfect beauty. I had to keep pretending like I was going to give her the Binky to get an after picture...that's why she was crying, not from the pain...promise! She ended up thinking it was a fun little game. (she's pretty attached to her Binky- can you tell?)

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't know what kind of camera you have, but mine will let me edit. I had a similar incident with Porter hitting his head on the dresser. I just erased the end of the video. Check your manual if you still have it.

Heywood Clan said...

Poor little Ashlyn. It's so hard being the youngest. She is so cute!!!

Tiffany said...

Its not that bad. I was expecting much worse after reading your post. You crack me up.

Beckie said...

That was hilarious UNTIL I saw her get a fat lip! Poor girl!
I totally understand about balloons. Did you mention the tiny pieces that have to be picked up?

Sommer said...

I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I saw that video, it was one of those you would see on Funniest Home Videos! Poor Ashlyn! The pictures of her at the end were priceless though!
You crack me up about the balloons, I hadn't thought of even half of those reasons... you would hate to be at my house on holidays, especially Valentines! Balloons all over the place! The kids love them!