Wednesday, August 6, 2008

School Days are here again

Does it seem like summers just get shorter and shorter every year? It's kind of like when you get older it seems like it was just Christmas and it's already Christmas again. Really, the holidays just get commercialized to heck...I saw Halloween stuff at Target yesterday. Serious! As we get older, I think we just get so busy that there is never enough time. Well, my wish list of summer activities never even made it on paper this summer, so really we just winged it! It wasn't horrible this way this year, but next year there will be a written list that maybe gets started as soon as now. We'll just add to it as we get ideas.

We survived Carson's first day (and then some) of Kindergarten. He has been waiting for this day for as long as he could remember! Finally, his life-long dream of riding a bus has finally come to pass. It wasn't as good as he thought it was going to be. Oh well. At least he is still willing to ride it. Carson's teacher is very nice and he enjoys her. From Carson's perspective, it sounds like he is really going to need to learn to follow instructions and listen better (Not a newsflash for Mom). He was bummed on the first day because (Carson's words:) "Someone told me I wasn't allowed to play in the house on the computer thing that goes click, click, click (interpretation: keyboard), and I told him I was. He said we were only allowed to do puzzles. Mom, he was right and I was wrong! My teacher said so!" Carson was devastated over this. How could it be that he had been wrong? It's like he realized that this was possibly wasn't the first time...that this had happened before. He had the look in his eyes like you mean Kaeleigh was right all those times she said I was wrong? Poor guy! He had to figure it out sooner or later. He has turned out to be my forgetful school child. After only 3 days, he has left his lunchbox at school twice and left his take home folder as well once. It only gets better from here I guess. It's a good thing he has those charming eyes! He'll woo his teacher yet!

Kaeleigh has a fantastic teacher...love her already. She has a baby boy that was born a month before Ashlyn. I may have seen 2 other kiddos of hers at back to school...it was kind of crazy. But, I just kept thinking to myself, "Good! She knows how it really is." I am not making excuses, but my kids have already missed the bus once and it has been crazy trying to change to a double duty school schedule. I had a hard enough time getting just Kaeleigh out the door for four years! Wish me luck.

Anyway, Kaeleigh's teacher is fun and cute. She stands outside with a huge squirt bottle and sprays all the kids as they walk by. It's not easy to stay cool outside here. The other day Kaeleigh came home and said that Mrs. Mahoney knows Hannah Montana. I looked at her like....mmm, hmmm. Right! She said, "No, really! Someone did something at school (assuming not good) and Mrs. Mahoney started singing Nobodies Perfect." Let's just say Kaeleigh has a new respect for this woman now.

Well, as for the younger two and myself, we are definitely enjoying the peace and quiet around here. Neither Deegan nor Ashlyn can speak well enough to fight yet. It's bliss at its best! I still get 2 naps from Ashlyn a day and Deegan takes his afternoon nap at the same time as Ashlyn so believe it or not...brace yourself...my house has been clean for 3 days straight with beds made and all! Holy cow! I don't want to leave my house because it just feels so good...until about 3:15 when the backpacks and shoes get strung across the floor and papers bombard my home. Oh well...there's always tomorrow. At least I get a couple hours every day. We will be making a schedule over the weekend to correct our imperfections of the first week of school. Maybe that will help.

Thanks to all who have been so curious as to how Carson handled the big change. He really did well. Other than being super tired when he gets home, he is loving every minute of being a big kid. He was sad the other night because he admitted that he has a hard time at school because he misses me and doesn't get to snuggle me anymore...no fear...that will be on the new schedule! I never thought I would be the schedule type, but as I get wiser with age, I must say...Three cheers for schedules!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

You crack me up. I can't believe school is already started there. I forget how early they start in Arizona. They don't start here for another 2 weeks. I am glad that he had a good transition. Is it full day kindergarten?